So at the start of the year (2012) I made a secret commitment to myself, that this year I would strive to increase the amount of apps I have on the App store. I’m not one for “New year’s resolutions” but this goal I know I wanted to set for the year. So as I drafted ideas and played with concepts, I knew for one thing this new app would not be a game, I wanted to make something that was more of a utility type app.

For my first new app i’ve decide to create a app that tracks scores, simple right? Well everything starts off simple until we start adding “features” to it. Scoretastic is that app, and this app’s goal is to allow you to keep track of score for a multitude of games, but especially real, physical world “social” games, i.e. beer pong, foot racing, mini golf, touch football, pick-up game of basketball, etc.

App home screen

Originally the app was going to be called Scorerific, but I later decided to call it Scoretastic as I figured if the app truly sucked I would be making it way too easy for people to associated Scoreific with it was “horrific”. On this project page I intend on documenting the stages of the app and it’s development. So here you’ll find early sketches, name ideas, marketing strategies, programming/coding review. But for now the project is still on going so the final outlook of this page with change over time as I get closer to completing a case study of Scoretastic.

Deciding between two names, Scoretastic and Scoreific

Scoretastic is a simple score board app for keeping track of scores when playing a board game, sports or just a casual game with friends.

Sketching ideas for Scoretastic page 1
Sketching ideas for Scoretastic page 2


Main challenge is create a intuitive app workflow that allows the users to get a scoreboard setup really quick and start tracking scores. Other challenges include, using Core Data for the first time to implement this app. Also on a side note, another potential challenge with be adding some social aspects to the app by allowing friends to find each other on the app… but for now it’s off the drawing board. The overall goal is to launch as quickly as possible, keeping the features limited (In the end the app took 3 months to develop, longer than I anticipated).

For now there are several contenders in this area of score keeping, but the majority of them are badly designed both in terms of graphics and workflow. Only two really stand out for ease of use and overall great UI & UX. Those two are Scoar and Scorekeeper, they both have great experiences but lack any depth to the app, for example they can only track one game… if you want to track another game you have to clear the current game that you are tracking and start over. Scoretastic on the other hand is aiming down the middle with a great UI & UX, so the workflow with be easy to use and users will have the ability to track more than one game with multiple players (In the end the decision was made to limit the app to track just one game, I guess that’s why the previously mention apps did the same thing :)).

Unfortunately Scoretastic didn’t really have a prototype, I later discovered Keynotopia for quick workable prototypes on the iPhone and iPad, but it was way after I had started work on Scoretastic.

One of the initial mock-up, showing layout and elements

I wanted to go with something that was more along the lines of varsity or college feel, I’m still trying to refine the feel of the app so the work is in progress. Screenshots to come soon.

Scoretastic FaceBook banner
Scoretastic with a game in progress screen
Scoretastic logo visual
Scoretastic website visual


Scoretastic’s about screen

In the end there was quite a lot to re-tell in terms of what and how development occurred, so I hope these screens below will help illustrate a bit of what is required to build this app.

The only real thing I can say about the development experience is that it takes a significant amount of time to design and develop an app. As much as I love Apple and there tools, I find that Objective -C is quite difficult to manipulate and to be fair it’s not so much Obj-C as the faults lie more in the framework, iOS. I think if Apple were to include a lot more prebuilt functions, like function and features that are typical features then it would easier to work with. I found I spent a lot of time writing a lot of setup code before actually doing anything significant. But maybe that’s just the web developer and now Python developer in me, we like instant feedback results.

Testing performance and fine tuning
Coding in Xcode
Storyboard UI development

Leave a Comment